Support the Haiti Disaster Relief Effort

October 27, 2009

Eurocation: Ibiza Serves Sledgehammers for Breakfast

Waking up already trespassing in a sailboat with dried contacts and rotten breath wasn't exactly my idea of paradise. My ringtone pounded my ears as I worked around an uncomfortable morning wood. It was the tropics, but I was still cold after a night exposed to the stars. Where the hell am I?

Where I found my bed...
I answered my cell simply to make it stop. It was Cory, asking where the hell I was. What? I'm still sleeping, the sun is barely up... what is going on? I glanced off of the boat and onto the dock to see Cory was no longer there. He apparently went looking for me not knowing that I found shelter overnight, and then found it necessary to wake me up before sunrise in order to avoid detection by police or boat residents. For a kid who is constantly tired I am utterly amazed at how quickly he got up and running. Oh, wait... mystery solved he's back to sleep.

We made our way to the ferry office, the one we were supposed to be at in the first place and found a bench outside. It was in that moment that we sat down that Cory was once again asleep. Fantastic.

ibiza sunset
So there we were, once again, on a bench in Ibiza. We had a hell of a lot more to lose this time though (excluding our lives and... I can't even say it) seeing as how if we missed this ferry to Palma, we would end up missing our flight out of Palma... not good. Plus, our poor little Indian friend would be in the beautiful Palma de Mallorca all by herself! I couldn't sleep thinking about how many guys she would make out with us if we weren't there to cock block her... it scares me to tears!
Where were we? Oh yes, on the bench. So, I am sitting there watching the damn sun rise, which actually made quite a beautiful picture, but only increased my despair. I wanted a bed more in that moment than any other in Europe. The night before had given me the benefit of alcohol, which made the situation much more bearable. But now, I was on a bench, exhausted from a short and shitty night of sleep, sitting next to a corpse with no idea on how the hell I was getting off the island. The police strolled by, the cleaning crew, the cook from next door, and eventually office staff. Finally, I can sort out the damn tickets and get off this island. Here goes the Spanish... A que hora la proxima barc de partir? What? Pardon? Shit. At least the Spanish cutie behind the counter gave me kind eyes and a smile for my linguistic efforts.

Cory, guess what. Nope, not even close. Want to guess again? Maybe open your eyes? We have another 12 hours in Ibiza. Now, usually the morning hunger is moderate. You eat a decently sized dinner, stay up for a little and then sleep. You don't build hunger when you sleep because you are not burning all those calories. The morning famish comes on strong along when you don't sleep, though. When you spend the entire night not eating dinner, drinking, worrying about getting raped, and breaking onto sailboats, you tend to build up a need to feast. There was no reasoning, no searching prices from place to place, no. I am eating. There. Now. Coffee? Keep that shit strong and coming by the pint.
Notice the peanuts and coat hanger...
After the sit down and regroup, we began to explore. This is term we use for walk around when we have no place to go and know knowledge of where we are. We saw a castle, so why not work our way towards that. The city of Elvissa turned out to be really cool, believe it or not, and I began to wish we stayed on that side of the island the entire time, slightly. So, we made our way up rocky streets and spiraling walkways. It actually reminded me a lot of Greece with the white walls and colorful accents. Side note, I've never been to Greece. Ignoring that, I found some roses and took a picture that I became quite proud of.

Oh boy, how much coffee did I drink? Cuz I have to piss, now. UGH! We made it to the castle a lot sooner than anticipated because of the before mentioned urge. Not that we wanted to piss on a castle, which we did, but we walked faster and faster trying to find a bathroom. We did stop and get distracted by a friendly cat who seemed quite fond of the coat hanger I had picked up and brought along from our previous room. She looked like a skinnier, shorter haired Fireball (my cat growing up) and decided to play around our feet. This made me smile, but back to the need to piss. Unfortunately, the Spanish assholes running this town started signs for the bathroom at the bottom of the hill sending us up to the very top where you had to pay to get in. Well, this is what you get. A stained castle wall. You are lucky that is all I had to do. Following the reduction in stress, we cracked open Cory's bag of peanuts and perched on a ledge overlooking the water. Finally sitting down again, I needed a nap. Cory was going to stay up and work on his memoirs, so now it was my turn to rest my damn head in peace. Ipod on, hat over the face, and it didn't matter that I was laying on an uneven rock wall... out like Ali (who if you don't know got credit for being the best even after Frazier kicked his pompous ass).

Photo Montage? Oh I can’t resist!
Alright, enough messing around. What happens next? Sick of writing about the day, we found cannons, another napping spot, some really interesting graphiti (posted after the sign off), and some more coffee. We eventually got ourselves to the pier once again and waited for a departure. We did in fact make the boat this time and were officially off of one paradise and onto the next. Yippee! Give me a seat and let me pass out on this boat. What? Motion sickness? Shit it’s a night trip… no sleep, wonderful. At least we will have a place to crash once we get to Palma… right? (wrong! see tomorrow)

Peace and Love from the Mediterranean,
Scott Stephen Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment