Setting off, there were many hopes, and even higher aspirations. I was unsure of what to expect in many ways. The underlying goal was experience, learning and living to the fullest. I had allowed a slight pre-journey pessimism set in prior to catching the train to Geneva for our flight south, but I got over the idea and it became a mere afterthought by the time we arrived in our first new city. I had never been to Geneva before, at least not at an age that I could really remember. The city was cold but fresh. The price wasn't exactly right at any dining establishments, but we made our way up to the only thing that could fulfill our desire for a mission. Without any idea of the name or importance, we climbed. Up the hill and around the winding streets we made our way to the church. Getting there, I lit a candle for my father as I did in every country I visited and began to wander. What I found from my investigation was an entrance to a tower. An entrance that you were required to pay for. What? This did not seem very Christian to me. Well, it did, but in a way that I disagree with. Anyways, I decided to jump the rotating barrier and begin my accent. After playing a tricky game of red light green light with the spiral stare case traffic control system, I got up to the top. Side note, should have left my backpack with Cory at the bottom of the damn stairs... ugh. The view was incredible. The Alps, the fountain, the city, just beautiful. I took some pictures and thought of the people I would have loved to share it with before moving on. I loved you in this moment.
Continuing on I found another tower, some inner workings of the construction, and another area I was not supposed to be in. I also found a place to stash my pack before I continued on to the next set of stairs. I played another game of red light green light before getting to this next stop in the vertical road. This, I realized, was an even better view of the world, and once again I loved you here.
Before moving on, and I believe this to be more representative of my current mind frame than that which was maintained during my travels, but I have an attachment to something other than myself. Now, this may be difficult to believe as I am indeed a selfish bastard. But, it must be said that there are those in this world that I would do anything for, even if it meant losing a piece of my future prosperity. There is wealth to be had in this world and it does not rest solely in the number on my bank account. Read into this as much as you would like or laugh at what you perceive to be lies, but I intend to move forward with this perspective in mind.
"Intentions? That's what I call some bullshit. You and I both know that you are going to get rich and screw the rest... besides, you can always buy the happiness."
Declining from the tower, I have been satisfied with the angel's view of the city and intend to move onto a more hands on approach. We take a different route down the hill, and I completely anticipate getting lost. Fortunately, we come out onto a recognizable square that happened to be exactly where we wanted to be. C'est parfait! Surrounded by food I didn't want to eat and shops I couldn't afford, I had a smile on my face. Cory and I tried out some roasted nuts of some kind... didn't really have a taste other than... shit? Whatever, it seemed like the local thing to do.
The next move was a bench by the water. We had postponed our cigar purchase earlier and were now out of reach, so we managed the view without smoke. We played creeper on some ladies and some dogs with the camera and made our way onto the airport. Innocent fun and a funny story.
My streak of innocent misbehavior continued as we made our way through the multiple duty free shops while my partner in crime looked down on my actions from a moral standpoint yet approved with the childish grin emerging from within. Deep down, I know he enjoyed it just as much as I did. The fine residents of Switzerland may not have. With the plane almost ready to board, we made the snap (possibly regrettable) decision to each buy a bottle of absolute bottom of the barrel vodka. I am once again optimistic knowing that both of these bottles must be finished by the time we leave for our next destination (carry on only) or thrown away. Lets roll.
Peace and Love du Suisse,
Scott Stephen Smith
No comments:
Post a Comment