Whatever is said was said back then. I love you all and am a better person because of you. =)
We meet again with a pen and paper, the old fashioned way. I have now completed my first week of classes at CEFAM, which were not too shocking in any one direction, and the famed Integration Weekend, which continued to open my eyes to the French culture.
Since last writing a lot has happened personally and professional. On a more boring, less juicy level, the little French that I have learned so far has reinvigorated my passion for learning languages and motivated me to commit the next 10 months to becoming as proficient in French as possible. The initial thought was to extend my stay in France through my next co-op, but as that is nearly impossible with all the red tape, I am now looking into Montreal, my third home, as my next place of unemployment. Due to the family connection, setting this up won't be terribly hard. Granted, I will be learning "fake" French... haha sorry Quebec... but I should be fairly well off if I continue on this path. This would also give me the chance to earn my TEFL certification on the side, opening up a ton of possibilities for the third co-op. Teaching wasn't supposed to happen until my wealthy retirement, but saying no to six months in Bangkok or Hong Kong or Tokyo would be quite difficult at this stage in my life. Anyways, enough about the future, to the more current revelations.
Classes at CEFAM have been interesting. The teachers are incredibly diverse in their backgrounds and qualifications, but I am satisfied with the level of work being done so far. The classes do move a bit slower at times when the teacher needs to explain certain terms or concepts to the non-native English speakers, but that doesn't really hurt as I haven't been in a traditional classroom since before last Christmas, so I am still getting into my groove as far as learning goes. The teaching style is slightly different than the U.S. however. While the material is almost exactly the same, and purposely done so, the atmosphere in the classroom is unique. The teachers insist on being called by their first name only, which creates a more relaxed feel, but challenging the teacher is also much less common than in the U.S. I believe this is not necessarily because of who is in front of the class, but rather a cultural ritual that puts a large gap between the upper levels and lower levels of society within France. Their corporate ladders are much steeper than the U.S., and the classroom reflects this attitude.
I have a particularly interesting teacher for two of my classes who is more animated than a Richard Simmons work-out video. She hops around in high heals, literally jumps in and out of classroom lectures when making side notes, and has a constant sway during every description. At first I was amused, then I was afraid, and now I have accepted it. She has no formal training to teach business courses, as she is a literature major, but I have already learned a great deal from her knowledge derived from real experience. She talks about what she has seen and done, but has no reservations on accepting other opinions and I think that is exactly what a teacher should be. In my opinion, this type of learning is more useful, and the type of teaching more credible than one who reads from a book and nothing more. The other students feel the same way and it shows as her classes receive far higher attendance and participation than the others that I am in. Screw you, establishment!
The only problem I have with any of my classes is French Culture. This is different from my language course, and focuses on learning about France and why it is how it is. I approve of the entire concept of the class and its importance to the study abroad students. What I don't approve of is the American teacher. Granted, she has lived in France for many years, has a French husband, yata yata yata. She still brings an American perspective and personality to her lessons, and for this I don't respect her as a source of knowledge. It is the subconscious asshole within me, but I am already pushing her buttons to see what I can get away with during class. I don't know what it is, but I will try to control this better than I have in the past. There is always that one teacher that I simply try to mess with. It is a blessing and a curse, well, I guess mostly a curse. I mean, who in the world tells the teacher that your one unique quality is that you have a portrait of your dad on your right ass cheek? (Dad, don't worry, this hasn't happened yet but is more of a running joke among the Americans who I have convinced. But, what would you say if I did? Like a symbol for how many times you helped me sit up straight in the presence of adversity? We can talk, but for now I will digress.) The worst part about all of this is most of the time I do these things and manage to still earn the love of the teacher because of everything else I bring to the table. My good looks are likely the biggest source of this love, but I have meaningful contribution as well. Hmm... we will see how that one turns out.
The students at CEFAM are a mixed bag. The girls are almost all attractive in some way, and many are just downright gorgeous. With only a few exceptions, they all seem quite keen to meet the American boys and practice their English as much as possible. I have managed weasel French lessons and coffee out of these interactions fairly well, so the benefits are being reaped in that respect. I haven't gone so far as dinner yet, as that will usually constitute an instant relationship which I can't quite allow myself to fall into until I have tried a few French flavors, but the potential is definitely there in many places.
I had made one friend in particular that I went out with a few times last week. I did manage to get slightly ahead of myself, big surprise, and the efforts fell apart romantically over the integration weekend. No worries though; there wasn't too much fuss, I am assuming she can still help me with my French (as she is actually quite good as a teacher), and I have been planting enough seeds and have gotten enough numbers to pursue encounters elsewhere. Come to think of it, that may have been the very reason for the split away from the direction we were headed. The phrase "he who chases two rabbits at once will not catch any" comes to mind here. Haha damn those French girls and their universal love for my accent. Spoiled for choice and I spoil the pot. Nevertheless, my new primary project seems to be an upgrade in looks, English skills, and general lack of closet bitchiness.
Oh, speaking of poontang, I just met my neighbor from across the hall for the first time this afternoon. It is amazing how little I know the people in this building. They are seriously never visible. I actually thought the room across the hall was a guy, but it turns out she is a cute student with poor English. What a great opportunity to make another friend for this innocent American boy. You may say I am taking advantage of the situation, as the results are similar to fishing with dynamite in a 10 gallon bucket jumping with salmon, but I am being nothing but a gentleman, so put those fears away. When I say nothing but a gentleman, I exclude the fact that I pursue multiple women at once, which is just instinct.
Where were we? Oh yes, the students. The girls are great, love me, and I love them. The guys are hit or miss, as I am guessing some of them are bitter when their girlfriends give all the attention to the foreign invaders. Many of them are just as welcoming though, inviting us to come out, offering us drinks, and joining in the parties that we try to put together. I suppose if they all did this, we wouldn't be able to roll out into town with a 2:1 ratio of girls to guys every night though, so no worries.
The important thing is that I am beginning to make good friends with a small group of the Americans (the rest are too stupid to talk to or too loud to go out with), and a larger group of French students. This is by design and completely on purpose, as I want to get more out of this experience than a series of pre-game parties with the same clueless girls I can find at home. I have learned a lot in this life, and have gained enough knowledge to realize how much more there is for me to absorb. I want to get my French off the ground and accelerate passed the basic conversations I have been able to have so far. I want to understand the intricacies of the culture, and have an idea of how business works in the region. I do this through enjoyment and curiosity.
Peace and Love from France,
Scott Stephen Smith
September 14, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment