It is now my third day here and I have begun to explore the many secrets the city has to offer. Yesterday was my real welcome as we ventured on a husky-hunt style scavenger route around the city. Our journey started in Vieux Lyon where we traveled through Roman ruins, under secret passage ways used during the French Resistance, and over ancient cobblestone streets. During this journey, I begin to notice the different cultural interaction typical to the French. For one, they don't smile much. It is considered quite weird to smile at a stranger while saying "bonjour", but kissing two cheeks is almost a necessity in every greeting with women. In contrast to the U.S., hugs are considered extremely intimate and only shared between two people in a committed relationship. All of this strikes many of the Americans on the trip as odd, but we are all accepting and embracing the culture for what it's worth.
Through my acceptance, I am hoping to blend in more than the average tourist. These two middle aged women walking through the square I sit in wearing a matching pair of bright orange XL t-shirts is not the image I hope to present. One of them fits into this uniform quite well, unfortunately, and the other wears it like a dress down to her knees. I only hope they are from somewhere other than the U.S. but chances are slim.
It looks to be the same gathering around the statue today as there was yesterday. My first thought, cynical as I am, was of some annoying tour group. However, this seems to be the same group as yesterday and is more likely a bunch of kids hanging out before school starts tomorrow. The gathering is impressive for a bunch of 13 year olds.
As this spot has worn out its welcome, I must move on and return to these thoughts.
Peace and love for now.
Ah, returned at last!
The night following the above mentioned solo adventure was my first taste of the true Lyon night life. Now, it is important to keep in mind that compared to Paris or London or New York, Lyon is quite a small city. However, it is in France, the women are beautiful, and they have taken enough notes to know how to throw it down. Explicit language may or may not ensue, depending on how into this I get.... (Turns out that it does)
We started the night in preparation of high drink prices paired with a shit exchange rate. Can anyone say 1 euro bottles of wine? We kept the meal light with a delicious salmon sandwich from the bakery down the street and started to pre-game like Americans. By 9:30 we had arrived at a bar called Lipstick close to the Hotel D'Ville. As we got there, the French students were already getting started outside. It is apparently kosher to drink on the sidewalk. We took our seats in a clique sort of fashion even though I was trying to sit closer to French students, but were quickly ordered to shuffle up and make new friends. This pleased me. I sat next to Anais and Zoey. I quickly learned that Zoey had a boyfriend and spoke less English than I spoke French, so I mainly focused on Anais who was less my type but the only one I could hear.
We had our own section upstairs in the bar, but still were a bit crowded. Then, roughly 15 more students came and joined. I don't know how it worked out, but I saw smiles all around and was pleased enough that the first round of shots were on their way. My first French shot was called Alert and was supposed to have vodka and coco... pretty sure I got straight vodka but no complaints. The second one had a concoction of liquors and was topped with Tabasco sauce. Before embarking on the endeavor, I decided to give a toast and allow Anais to have a break before the next shot. She is a short girl and I was in some unusual nice guy mood. I thought through this ahead of time so that I could look good and be easily translated.
"For the new friends we have made
To the lasting memories that await
and to the oldest way to have fun:
Raise your glasses and slap some asses!"
I figured that left an accurate perception of my style and got a few laughs. About half of the table understood and took the second shot with me, the others waited for their own desire to kick in. I will call it a tie with French culture.
We then split up into groups that all went to the same New York themed bar, one of the most popular spots in the city. Then, after a short while, my small group that included Anais went back towards the school and residence to a place called The Sound Factory. Will it be some really loud dance club? Stupid question. As loud as it was, I was still able to hold enough conversation to discover that my new friend had broken up with her boyfriend of two years that morning and was an emotional wreck. Well, she did bring some friends, right? Nope, all taken. Does anybody just f*@# around in this country? Christ... I spent part of the night being some nice American boy and the other part figuring out that girls will not meet you near a dance floor. Seeds were planted, however, I managed two numbers, stayed out and had a good time until the morning. Oh, this is a nice tidbit. As in Boston, the subway stops running at 12:30 in Lyon. However, unlike in Boston, the solution to this problem is not to go back early or take a taxi home, but rather to keep every club and bar open until at least 5:00 am when the trains start up again.
This should be a good semester.
Peace and Love from France,
Scott
No comments:
Post a Comment